Saturday, March 30, 2013

Let Go


You can't keep your true self hidden forever; before long you'll be exposed.
-Luke 12:2 (MSG)

I was looking through one of my journals and I found something I had written toward the end of my freshman year of college. Luke 12:2 was written at the top followed by some thoughts I had. Reading it helped me. Hopefully it helps you too. Here it is:

You can't keep your true self hidden forever; before long you'll be exposed.
-Luke 12:2 (MSG) 
Reading this, processing this, imagining this passage in Luke. It scares me. The last thing I want is for people to actually know me and to see my bare, naked soul. My weaknesses and strongholds; the things I cling to for security. If I am to mature in Christ's word and embrace the mission he has set before me, everything must be shed. Those deep, dark, shameful secrets must be revealed. Jesus tells us that the only way we could ever be saved is to let go of the cliff that we are gripped to. Scary thought, isn't it? To detach would mean a terrible fall, and a painful one at that! Death is inevitable. Once you hit the ground, God takes over. We die; every last bit of our "self" passes away. Our entire being is then captivated by Him, Life itself. We resurrect a new creature, entirely different than that which existed prior. Even though deceased and extinct, we become more ourselves than ever before. In being weak, we gain strength and confidence. By dying, we actually become alive. In losing our person, we discover our true identity. In doing so, we gain the ability to ascend that steep precipice. Mounting the height is hopeless, unless one lets go.
I think it's my time. My time to release the grasp. The time has come for me to plummet to my death. The hardest part is underway. My fingers are lifting, one by one, slowly and gradually surrendering to that horrid fall. It will not be pleasant. I am aware. But I am certain that the outcome will be glorious.

 What are you clinging to?

No comments:

Post a Comment